Timaru Boys High School Memorial Library

Timaru Boys High School Memorial Library


Building Details

Name of Building: Timaru Boys High School Memorial Library
Location: 211 North Street,
Date Plaque Unveiled: November, 2021
Current Owners: Timaru Boys High School
Contact Details:  
Plaque Sponsor:  


Brief Historical Information:

The Timaru Boys' High School Memorial Library was opened in 1924. It is a single storey brick building designed by Percy Watts Rule and was built as a memorial to commemorate the 52 Old Boys who sacrificed their lives in World War One. In 1955 the building was extended and a memorial window erected in memory of the 133 past pupils who died in World War Two.

Timaru High School opened in 1880 as a combined Girls' and Boys' school in Hassel Street. In 1898 the school split on the same site into separate boys' and girls' schools. In 1913 Timaru Boys' High School relocated to its present site in North St. The Memorial Library is the only 'original' building left in the school grounds.

Restoration and Current Owner Story

Coming soon...

Photo Gallery

Click on any image to see a larger copy