Speight’s Ale House, Ashburton (former Bank of NSW)

Speight’s Ale House, Ashburton (former Bank of NSW)


Building Details

Name of Building: Speight’s Ale House, Ashburton (former Bank of NSW)
Location: 245 Burnett Street,
Date Plaque Unveiled: 9th February, 2021
Current Owners: Private owners (commercial)
Contact Details:  
Plaque Sponsor:  


Brief Historical Information:

A substantial two story building of brick faced with Oamaru stone was built and opened on the corner of Burnett and Cass Streets, on December 9, 1898 to house the Bank of New South Wales and its manager.

The Bank of New South Wales was originally formed in Australia in 1817. It extended its operations to New Zealand in 1861 and in early 1888 the Ashburton branch was the 34th in New Zealand to open.

The tender from Mr J H Maynard was accepted for the construction of new premises and building commenced in 1898. The contractors for the brickwork were Andrews and Son and the joinery and wood work were provided by Baker Brothers. The building was designed by Collins and Harmon, architects from Christchurch.

The Ashburton Trust bought the historic Westpac building and on 11th of December 2006, secured the ale house concept and opened as The Speight’s Ale House, bar and restaurant.

Restoration and Current Owner Story

Coming soon...

Related Links

Photo Gallery

Click on any image to see a larger copy